Do You Need a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney?
Slip and fall accidents are more common – and dangerous – than many people realize. Adults and children have suffered permanent, life-altering injuries, and even lost their lives from these types of accidents. A slip and fall accident attorney can assist victims on the road to recovery. Our San Diego, CA, personal injury law firm has represented hundreds of victims in slip and fall cases. If your family has been harmed because of a property owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.
Types of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, from a pathway in a public park to the aisle of a grocery store or neighbor's backyard. These accidents occur for a number of common reasons, causing catastrophic injuries, including hip, shoulder, and spinal cord injuries, and head and brain trauma.
The most common causes of falls are:
- Wet Surfaces: Slippery surfaces can include concrete near a pool or water feature, a newly washed or waxed floor, or spilled liquid in the aisle of a store.
- Uneven Walkways: There are many examples of this type of condition, including cement lifted by tree roots, torn carpeting, loose tile or floorboards, a hole in the ground, or an unexpected step.
- Obstacles: Items left on a walkway, such as a sign, boxes, construction material, or any type of debris can cause people to trip. An overhead or dropped object can also cause a dangerous fall or head injury.
- Stairways: A broken stair or hand railing can precipitate a devastating fall. Some poorly designed staircases are too steep and lack sufficient handholds.
- Insufficient Lighting: Burned-out bulbs in a dark hallway or parking structure can lead to a tripping accident.
Falls in the workplace may also fall into this category. For example, accidents are common for construction workers, who often use scaffolding and ladders and spend hours in an elevated work environment.
Premises Liability for Injuries
In almost all cases, liability for an injured victim’s medical costs is covered by an insurance policy. Premises liability laws place responsibility on a property owner or operator to eliminate safety hazards or provide a clear warning about hazards. Negligent acts (or inaction) may mean liability for extensive damages sustained by an injured party.
If you are faced with medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and anticipated future losses, you deserve compensation to help you heal and rebuild.
After any serious slip and fall on public or private property, it is imperative to get in touch with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Once the incident is reported, insurance adjusters often initiate swift contact to try to negotiate a lowball settlement. They may express sympathy, but their goal is always to contain costs for their employer.
If an incident occurs at the home of a friend or family member, there is no need to feel guilty about pursuing a claim. Homeowner’s insurance is meant to provide financial help in event of an injury accident, and costs are usually minimal to the insured party. If you are faced with medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and anticipated future losses, you deserve compensation to help you heal and rebuild.
Our law firm has spent years assisting victims to recover due compensation for accidental injury and wrongful death. If you or your family are suffering due to a premises liability incident, please contact us today and schedule a free consultation.