Bicycle Accident Compensation
When a bicyclist is involved in a crash with a vehicle in San Diego, CA, damages considered may include pain and suffering, property damage, medical bills, loss of mobility, loss of wages, and more. Unfortunately, local laws may limit the amount of damages an injured bicyclist can recover, so strong representation is needed to assign a significant portion of the blame to the negligent driver. At San Diego Injury Law, our attorneys are well versed in the laws that impact bicycle accident compensation and will fight for your right to the compensation needed to make a full recovery. If you or a loved one was hurt in a bicycle accident, contact our law firm today.
Unfortunately, local laws may limit the amount of damages an injured bicyclist can recover, so strong representation is needed to assign a significant portion of the blame to the negligent driver.
Because of the lack of protection, bicyclists who are involved in accidents with a motor vehicle rarely walk away without any injuries.
Damages for Bicycle Accident Victims
Due to the sunny and warm weather year-round in San Diego, the city is popular among bicyclists. Unfortunately, distracted and reckless drivers make biking more dangerous. When accidents happen, bicyclists often suffer serious injuries, some of which may prevent them from bicycling ever again. Damages sought for bicycle accident victims may include any of the following, depending on individual circumstances.
- Medical Bills: Accident victims may need both immediate and ongoing medical treatment, as well as potential surgery and physical therapy. These expenses add up quickly and place a serious financial burden on the victim.
- Loss of Wages: Many victims are unable to work while they recover, and some victims’ injuries are so serious they are prevented from returning to work long term. This only adds to the financial strain victims experience. A good attorney will ensure any current and future lost wages are accounted for when pursuing damages.
- Property Damage: Bicycles are not cheap, and many bicyclists who ride every day spend thousands of dollars to purchase and maintain their bikes. Being hit by a larger vehicle like an SUV can do a lot of damage to the bike, and it may need to be replaced entirely.
- Pain and Suffering: In most personal injury cases, damages also account for the victims’ pain and suffering. This amount varies considerably depending on the severity of the injuries sustained.
- Reduced Quality of Life: Bicyclists who suffer severe injuries that prevent them from riding again may receive greater damages in this area because of the negative impact the accident has had on their well-being.
How Local Laws Affect Bicycle Accident Compensation
San Diego and many other local municipalities operate under “contributory negligence” laws. Essentially, these laws mean that if a bicyclist is partially to blame for the accident, his or her damages could be minimized. In order to secure the maximum compensation, injured bicyclists need an experienced attorney to prove they were abiding by the rules of the road and were not at all at fault.
Our Attorneys Can Help Establish Liability
Our attorneys have extensive experience in bicycle accident cases. We offer strong representation, backed by more than 30 years of experience in personal injury law. We fully understand the laws affecting both motorists and bicyclists and will work diligently to establish the driver was negligent and is therefore liable for any damages.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you or someone you love was hurt in a bicycle accident, contact San Diego Injury Lawyer today for a consultation. We can ensure that you obtain the compensation you deserve.