The Hip Replacement Lawsuit
Thousands of hip replacement patients have suffered complications and device failures. The problems have been found in several brands, leading to the hip replacement lawsuit against multiple corporate defendants. Our San Diego, CA, medical device attorneys are currently representing plaintiffs in these lawsuits, working to ensure our clients receive full compensation for their injuries and losses.
If you experienced complications or premature product failure from a hip implant, you deserve generous compensation. Please contact our personal injury law firm today to schedule a free consultation.
About Hip Replacement Litigation
Thousands of lawsuits have been filed stemming from a number of serious problems experienced by hip implant patients. In many cases, hip replacement systems that were supposed to last for decades failed after only a few years, requiring patients to undergo multiple invasive procedures.
Other cases involve serious health complications from the devices, such as metal poisoning (metallosis). Metallosis can occur with metal-on-metal hip appliances. The friction from the components of the device rubbing against each other can cause cobalt and chromium flakes to enter the bloodstream. Metallosis can cause pain, swelling and discoloration at or near the implant site. Other reported symptoms include rashes, nervous system problems, and confusion.
Lawsuits accuse Johnson & Johnson (DePuy Orthopedics), Wright Medical Technology, Stryker Orthopedics, BioMet, and other device manufacturers of misrepresentation, failure to warn, creating a defective product, and other allegations. The reported adverse health complaints and losses are numerous, including:
- Severe pain
- Bone damage
- Metal poisoning
- Tissue damage
- Device instability
- Impaired mobility or immobility
- Repeated surgeries
- Emotional distress
Many significant settlements and jury awards have already compensated victims of faulty hip replacement systems:
- In March 2016, a Texas jury awarded $502 million to five plaintiffs who suffered injury from the DePuy Pinnacle® Ultamet® hip implant. The award included $360 million in punitive damages against Johnson & Johnson. In 2013, the corporation settled 7,500 claims regarding the DePuy ASR™ device, which had been connected with many premature failures.
- In November 2015, an $11 million verdict was awarded against Wright™ Medical in a Georgia case pertaining to their Conserve® hip replacement. This case involved a female plaintiff who suffered metallosis.
- In June 2015, a California jury awarded a plaintiff $45 million in damages. This is one of more than a thousand cases that have been filed against Wright™ Medical for premature failures of the Profemur® hip replacement system.
- BioMet® Inc. settled multidistrict litigation (MDL) for $56 million in early 2014. This involved hundreds of lawsuits for failures of the M2a-38™ and M2a-Magnum™ hip replacement systems.
- In November 2014, a $1.43 billion settlement was reached in a mass tort involving Stryker® Orthopedics, a major producer of implants. Compensation was secured for thousands of plaintiffs who suffered from deteriorating Rejuvenate and ABG II Modular hip implant systems. Stryker voluntarily recalled the affected products in 2012.
Thousands of additional cases are pending in federal court for hip implants, including the Pinnacle® metal-on-metal device, which continues to be sold in the U.S. today. If you have suffered from a defective hip replacement from any manufacturer, it is in your best interest to speak to a qualified attorney.
Our firm can offer you compassionate, knowledgeable representation with an individualized outcome.
Depending upon your the specific circumstances of your case, you may file an individual state case or join a federal MDL. In either case, our firm can offer you compassionate, knowledgeable representation with an individualized outcome. We have decades of experience with dangerous medical devices and defective drugs.
You may be entitled to pursue compensation for your medical bills, productivity loss, and pain and suffering. Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.